Re-opening of the Naval Museum, Varna, Bulgaria
The history of the museum dates from 1883 when officers of the Danubian Fleet in Rousse started a collection of marine relics. The first public exhibition was set up in 1923 and until 1955 was known to the public as a ‘Marine Museum’.
In 1955 management of the museum transferred to the Defence Ministry and the collection was housed in the present building, re-named as a ‘Naval Museum’.
In April 2012, the museum re-opened after a painstaking renovation of the exterior and interior of the building.